Reverse Transfer

Make it Count

Earn your associate degree even if you already transferred to WSU! You earned it, and through a partnership between WSU and the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC), you can make it official. You deserve it.

Did You Transfer Before Earning an Associate Degree?

Have you transferred to Washington State University before earning your associate’s degree? Students transferring to Washington State University from a Washington community or technical college before earning an associate degree will be able to apply academic credits they earn at WSU to complete that degree. Adding an associate degree to your college transcript will help build your resume, document applicable job qualifications, and provide you with the benefits and options associated with earning an associate in arts degree as part of the Direct Transfer Agreement.

Benefits to Students

  • Qualify for better paying jobs
  • More likely to complete a bachelor’s degree
  • Less likely to default on student loans
  • Milestone accomplishment reflecting achievement they earned

Benefits to Institution

  • Increase in two and four year graduates
  • Potential to qualify for more funding
  • Streamline course data exchange with partner schools
  • Easily send data between public and private schools, as well as across state lines

With an increase of anywhere from 5-18 percent at the state level in bachelor degrees at four-year schools, research shows that students who get degrees because of reverse transfer are more likely to stay and complete their bachelor degrees.

Michelle Blackwell
Manager of Data Partnerships, National Student Clearinghouse

Do You Qualify?

Eligible students are all transfer students who enroll as degree-seeking students at a WSU campus prior to obtaining an associate degree (AA-DTA), with at least 30 transferable quarter credits (20 semester credits) from a Washington state public community college or technical college.

How Do I Find Out More?

To find out more, please contact the WSU Transfer Center for guidance, and the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges reverse transfer contact list specific guidance on degree requirements and processes.

If you represent a Washington CTC, and you’d like to learn more about our processes please email